Search This Blog

Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Grateful Heart


Thankfulness brings you to the place where the Beloved lives. – Rumi
The importance of gratitude is being recognized these days for its impact on both psychological and physical health.  The fact of the matter is that psyche and soma are not so separate.  Our thoughts (beliefs) influence our emotions which are intimately connected to our bodies.  There is a growing body of research confirming that what we think and feel directly influences our physical wellbeing.  Thoughts which lead to positive emotions promote a healthy immune response, generate healing capacities and make us feel good.  As Candace Pert, Ph.D. writes in Molecules of Emotion, “Hugs not drugs.” 
There is another side to the story however.  This idea of gratitude can be misused.  Should we be grateful to an employer who methodically underpays us?  How does one feel grateful to God when a child dies unexpectedly?  How about when someone we loved and trusted betrays us?  Unfortunately the list of examples could go on and on.  As Buddha reminded us, suffering is inherent in existence.  Certainly many of us use means like drugs, sex, gambling, etc. to distract ourselves from suffering, these means of coping, however, simply delay and increase the eventual suffering we have to face. 
When I was around nine years old my parents were devolving into serious “domestic violence.”  I work with this population now and realize how easily parents seem to believe that their kids are somehow unaware of what is going on.  Children are tuned into everything, both through their senses and through their intuition.  I had witnessed some severe fighting in the weeks before Christmas.  In fact, for our family Christmas get-together my mother had to use extra makeup to hide her bruises.  Relatives arrived and pretended not to notice.  At some point in the evening I became upset and retreated to my bedroom to sulk.  Sometimes as a child we never really know why we are upset.  I don’t remember my reasoning.  I just remember that my aunt came in and told what an ungrateful kid I was.  After that I declared a secret war on gratitude. 
Today I am grateful for my ungratefulness; for my soul-recognition that my family hid behind a veneer of bullshit.  We can’t use this idea of gratitude to deny our reality.  We can make an effort to identify and appreciate what is good in our lives.  However, we can’t gloss over the things that are not.  As we look around our world today, there is much to appreciate and much to address.  Gratitude doesn’t mean taking shit from anyone.  It doesn’t mean pretending inequality doesn’t exist.  Be grateful that the evolutionary intelligence gave you the ability to discriminate just from unjust, real from unreal, right from wrong. 
Gratefulness, forgiveness, love, etc. are wonderful and powerful emotions that serve us on mind-body-spirit levels.  If you are depressed it helps to refocus on what is positive in your experience.  If you are anxious, it helps to focus on where you feel secure.  As a joke I heard puts it though, “Just because you’re paranoid, it doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.”  Be grateful for what is real.  Don’t let it become some illusion.

2 comments:

  1. Another perspective:
    In The Course in Miracles we see that "Nothing real can be threatened & nothing unreal exists, herein lies the peace of God" This gives me comfort and helps me put things into perspective.
    An employer who underpays us gives us an opportunity/an option to find our personal power and speak up for ourselves. We can be grateful for that employer when we can appreciate ALL the experiences of life that give us motivation to "rise to the occasion" to love ourselves enough to make decisions based on what presents itself and intuition.
    My husband betrayed me by having a love affair with a friend for over a year... although that was horribly painful for me, it gave me the impetus to re-examine who I was and feel good about knowing my boundaries and coming to peace with knowing it wasn't really about me but more about HIS insecurities: an experience I can be grateful for.
    Perhaps a child's death is providing yet another opportunity to go through all those difficult emotions that make us intimately human. Perhaps the childs death was not God taking something away from us but maybe that child incarnated to help us experience OUR soul's purpose. Perhaps forgiveness. For that I can be grateful. For me, when it comes right down to it I know I can choose how to accept something, I can adopt a perspective that brings me peace/acceptance. I try to look at the bigger picture. I can be grateful for all the traumas, all the pain & difficulty in my life (and there has been much) knowing that I have learned (hopefully) and expanded to who I am today, loving myself and (eventually) my catalysts.
    From my deeper perspective the difference between real & unreal is a matter of perspective. "Real" on what level? To me, only love is real. The difference between right & wrong depends on perspective. Some things just are what they are & judgement of right or wrong loses credence when you know that everything has a purpose, has meaning ,has the possibility of bringing me life lessons/gifts.
    Thankyou, Turiyaom for being so authentic. Thank you for sharing your personal experience & views.
    I AM grateful for YOU!! and I love the soul-being you are & the collective YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon. for you wonderful perspective!

      Delete